Protein intake and recovery

News on effects of sports, nutrition and hormones on health.
Ironwarrior
Site Admin

Protein intake and recovery

Feb 4th, '24, 07:21

The anabolic response to protein ingestion during recovery from exercise has no upper limit in magnitude and duration in vivo in humans

Summary
The belief that the anabolic response to feeding during postexercise recovery is transient and has an upper limit and that excess amino acids are being oxidized lacks scientific proof. Using a comprehensive quadruple isotope tracer feeding-infusion approach, we show that the ingestion of 100 g protein results in a greater and more prolonged (>12 h) anabolic response when compared to the ingestion of 25 g protein. We demonstrate a dose-response increase in dietary-protein-derived plasma amino acid availability and subsequent incorporation into muscle protein. Ingestion of a large bolus of protein further increases whole-body protein net balance, mixed-muscle, myofibrillar, muscle connective, and plasma protein synthesis rates. Protein ingestion has a negligible impact on whole-body protein breakdown rates or amino acid oxidation rates. These findings demonstrate that the magnitude and duration of the anabolic response to protein ingestion is not restricted and has previously been underestimated in vivo in humans.

Read the whole article here:
https://www.cell.com/cell-reports-medic ... 23)00540-2

(I can hear Milos say 'I told you so!'. :lol:
MF forums: 'Squat Junkie'
MeWE: www.mewe.com/join/gymlife
Mastodon: @sergeant@qoto.org

Beti ona

Re: Protein intake and recovery

Feb 6th, '24, 18:58

I'm not sure what the ramifications are on this new study, can we eat more protein? But that doesn't mean we're going to build more muscle, does it?

Ironwarrior
Site Admin

Feb 7th, '24, 08:11

Read the article.
But it seems we can ingest higher doses of protein, so we'll have a longer timeframe or window of repair/recovery.

Milos Sarcev swears the sweet spot is around 500 grams p/day. Now, that's a lot and I think most of us don't ingest that amount of protein.
MF forums: 'Squat Junkie'
MeWE: www.mewe.com/join/gymlife
Mastodon: @sergeant@qoto.org

Beti ona

Feb 7th, '24, 23:34

Lol, Milos trains 280 pound athletes.

I get the message that more protein does more good than less protein, and that if in doubt, it's always better to increase calories from protein.

Beti ona

Feb 14th, '24, 17:33